- It lives for lust of the eyes, lust of the flesh and pride of life
- The poor remind the world of how life is empty without God who they hate.
- The poor remind the world of who it is serving, the spirit of mammon. The unsaved know idolatry is wrong and that God is to be worshiped first (Romans 2:14-15). It reminds them of how they are suppressing the truth by their own unrighteousness (Romans 1:18)
- The existence of the poor indict the world of how wicked it is.
- The poor remind the world that each human comes into the world with nothing, and leaves it with nothing. It is an offensive thing to the world which likes to think itself as self-sufficient and independent.
Whoso mocketh the poor reproacheth his Maker: and he that is glad at calamities shall not be unpunished (Proverbs 17:5).